If you are planning on or already have taken out a small, let’s say a quarter page advert in a magazine, in-order to ensure it is noticed, by as many potential readers as possible, it needs to contain three common elements:
- That all important headline, the bait, which first grabs your potential client’s attention
- The sales message, which makes clear what is being offered for sale – your product, service or a combination of both
- The call to action, which tells your potential client what they need to do to further engage with you.
When considering your headline, you must first give thought as to who you want to attract, is it the whole of Kent or do you just want to work around the corner at specific venues? When fishing, anglers use different bait to catch a specific type of fish. The same is true of couples getting married. Not all couples want the romantic wedding in a castle or historical building. Some will want the rustic charm of a barn, the expanse and location of a golf course or the popular and obvious convenience of a hotel, so your goal has to be to attract the attention of those who are more likely to want your venue, product or service. You therefore need to be really specific and make it easy for potential clients to understand what you are selling. So target your message by speaking to them directly:
- Bakers: WANT A WEDDING CAKE THAT WILL REALLY WOW YOUR GUESTS?
- Bridal beauty: WANT FLAWLESS MAKEUP ON YOUR SPECIAL DAY?
- Bridal wear: LOOKING FOR YOUR DREAM WEDDING DRESS?
- Celebrant: WANT A WEDDING CEREMONY WITH NO RESTRICTIONS?
- Hair accessories: SEARCHING FOR THOES SPECIAL AND BEAUTIFUL BRIDAL ACCESSORIES, THAT WILL REALLY MAKE HEADS TURN?
- Music: LOOKING FOR A BAND THAT GUARANTEES TO GET EVERYONE ON THE DANCE FLOOR?
- Photographer: WANT A PHOTOGRAPHER THAT REALLY LOVES AND UNDERSTANDS WORKING AT COASTAL LOCATIONS?
- Venues: SEARCHING FOR THE PERFECT ROMANTIC VENUE?
- Venues: LOOKING FOR A VENUE FULL OF RUSTIC CHARM?
- Venue styling: ALWAYS DREAMT OF A VINTAGE STYLE WEDDING?
The most important aspect here is that I’m asking YOU/ I’m addressing YOU. And yet, for market research purposes only, as I thumb through my latest pile of wedding magazines, I see many adverts with no headlines, which means in this wedding fight club, YOU are already on the ropes having already failed the essential number one rule.
The sales message should then take your statement one stage further and get even more specific – what the product or service is and what it can do for your client
- Bakers: WANT A WEDDING CAKE THAT WILL REALLY WOW YOUR GUESTS? We pride ourselves in creating the very best naked wedding cakes, as voted by xx.
- Bridal beauty: WANT FLAWLESS MAKEUP ON YOUR SPECIAL DAY? We are all qualified Airbase Airbrush Makeup artists and will travel to your venue anywhere in Kent.
- Bridal wear: LOOKING FOR YOUR DREAM WEDDING DRESS? We specialise in tea-length frocks and stock the largest collection in Kent.
- Celebrant: WANT A WEDDING CEREMONY WITH NO RESTRICTIONS? Booking an Independent Celebrant allows you all the flexibility to have your wedding, wherever you choose, at whatever time you want, and will reflect your personal beliefs and lifestyles.
- Hair accessories: SEARCHING FOR THOES SPECIAL AND BEAUTIFUL BRIDAL ACCESSORIES, THAT WILL REALLY MAKE HEADS TURN? Brides travel far and wide to come and find those one off, keep for a life time special jewellery pieces.
- Music: LOOKING FOR A BAND THAT GUARANTEES TO GET EVERYONE ON THE DANCE FLOOR? We are a covers band who really understand what gets your guests on the dance floor and keeps them coming back for more.
- Photographer: WANT A PHOTOGRAPHER THAT REALLY LOVES AND UNDERSTANDS WORKING AT COASTAL LOCATIONS? I love capturing you in front of the dramatic scenery, natural landscapes, stunning backdrops and sometimes moody moments provided by venues by the sea.
- Venues: SEARCHING FOR THE PERFECT ROMANTIC VENUE? Start your love story at xx castle, voted the most romantic castle in Kent.
- Venues: LOOKING FOR A VENUE WITH RUSTIC CHARM? In the heart of the Kent countryside our 200-year-old barn makes the perfect backdrop to your outdoor civil wedding ceremony.
- Venue styling: ALWAYS DREAMT OF A VINTAGE STYLE WEDDING? Hire all the props you could need to bring your dream theme alive.
Once you have your headline and your sales message, now you just need to provide the information necessary for clients to contact you. Again I see so many adverts that don’t give clear information on the call to action. This is your business, so why not give them (in text ideally large enough to read, on a background that doesn’t make it impossible to read) your:
- Name or the addressee such as your Wedding Coordinator
- Phone number – just the best one to reach you on will do and one preferably with a voice message leaving service
- Email – don’t forget to check your junk mail daily
- Website – you must keep up to date, as this is your shop front
- Address – I think this is really important and so often overlooked – if your client is going to make a pilgrimage to meet, perhaps for a free consultation, then you need to give them an idea of where they will be traveling to, even if you just state the town.
Advertising is expensive, so follow these simple steps and make it work better for you.
New updated advert: